Saturday, April 12, 2008

Language of letting go

April 12
Is it what you really want?

"Are you still in that relationship?" I asked a friend one day.
"If I were really sick, I could be," my friend said. "But I´ve decided not to do that to myself anymore."

Sometimes, a door is open. We can walk through it and into that room. We can stay there as long as we want and as long as we can stand being in that room. Many of us have learned to take care of ourselves so well that we can be in extremely uncomfortable situations and still comfortably take care of ourselves.
The question then becomes not, "Can I?" but, "Do I want to?"

There are many situations in life where we can insist on having our will and way, sometimes for an extended period of time. Stubbornness and persistence can be good qualities. We can stay with a thing until we learn it well. But we can also take that too far and stick with a thing - a project or relationship - when other weaker and wiser souls might have given up.
Instead of asking yourself if you can, ask yourself something different. If you´ve been hanging in there, trying harder, and diligently taking care of yourself, back off. Stop asking yourself if you´re good enough to handle the situation. Ask yourself if the situation is good for you.

God help me take the time to ask myself, "Is this what I really want?"

2 comments:

None of your bussiness said...

I dont know ifI was the freind in yourblog but I placed myself there. I find myself trying harderd and getting angerier and more resentful with each passing day. but still determined to keep trying.I cant seem to let go of this situalion I keep trying to"make2 it "right" and get flustrated when it dosent happen

Díana Ósk said...

No:) this is not a question from me:) it is taken from a book written by Melody Beattie, the name on the book is "Language of letting go":)